What’s the difference between a custom home builder and a project builder?0
One of the first decisions you need to make when you start to build a home is whether you want to employ a custom home builder or choose an existing design from a project home builder. Both have merit and we are fortunate to have a great range of custom home builders and project builders based in Newcastle & The Hunter to choose from.
What is the Difference between a Custom Designed Home and a Project Home?
A custom designed home is a one of a kind home. You can supply your plans or have them commissioned and work with a local custom home builder to build a unique home.
A project home is one where you choose an existing home design from a range of set plans. You can make certain changes to the original plans but this can be expensive and the basic structure generally remains the same. Most project home builders have display homes in new housing estates that you can visit and walk through. Walking through different display homes is a really good idea if you are unsure of exactly what size and style of home you want to build. When entering display homes, be sure to take note of the room sizes, the types of finishes you like and of course which floor plans suit your needs. Homes in new land estates are also often sold as house and land packages and these can often be a less expensive often for first home buyers.
Image: Amaze Building Pty Ltd
Which is the Right Choice for You?
There is no one better option. Whether you choose a custom designed builder or a project home builder will depend on your needs, budget and how much choice you desire to have in the building process.
Image: JMC Constructions Pty Ltd
Benefits of using a Custom Home Builder
- Choice. This is the biggest pro of using custom home builders. You can have an architect or draftsperson create the plans for you and choose from a myriad of fittings and be more involved in the building process.
- A closer relationship with your builder. This is usually the case with custom built homes as you work with the same building team from the beginning of the project until the end.
- Experienced Builders. Custom builders usually have many years of experience and can help make the process of building hassle free. Make sure to ask for testimonials from happy customers.
Image: JRP Built Pty Ltd
Benefits of using a Project Home Builder
- Cost. It will usually be cheaper to work with a project home builder. This is mostly due to the fact that these types of homes are mass produced with minimal or no changes to the original plans.
- Restricted product choice. This can be a bonus as building a home can be daunting with so many options from which to choose.
- Proven designs. You are choosing a home design that has already been built and most project builders have display homes that you can visit.
Think carefully about what sort of home you’d like and how to best achieve it. To find a local Custom Home Builder who is based in Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Maitland & Hunter Valley, visit Custom Designed Home Builders .
Don’t forget to like Build Local on Facebook for more tips and ideas. Click here to visit our Facebook page.