Tips on Renovating a Small Bathroom0
If your bathroom is on the small side there are several ways to make the room appear bigger. We were faced with this dilemma in a previous home renovation but with a few smart design & product choices we were able to make the room feel much more spacious than it really was.
Here are just a few of the things that we found made a big difference in our bathroom renovation that may be helpful to you:
- We had a custom made wall hung bathroom vanity made to suit the area. This allowed us to maximise the vanity storage space using the entire width of the room whilst still allowing the floor area to be clear
- When it came to choosing a toilet we opted for a concealed cistern toilet suite which meant no visible cistern unit
- We decided on light coloured tiles in neutral tones. If you decide to add some colour to your bathroom try using a few strips of mosaic tiles or a similar feature tile running vertically in the shower area to create the sense of height
- We selected the same brand & colour tile for both the floor and walls but opted for a bigger sized tile on the wall. We also tiled the room from floor to ceiling
- We had a semi-frameless shower screen installed in our bathroom. If the budget allows you could always splurge and go for a frameless shower screen
- We used a big mirror above the vanity to reflect light in the room. We had the mirror custom made to the exact width of the space above the vanity which went to the height of the ceiling (be mindful that this idea may be too overwhelming in a space with higher than usual ceilings)
- We installed a concealed internal sliding door unit so that we didn’t have to allow space for the door to open inside the bathroom which made the space feel bigger
We were fortunate to have a bathroom with good natural light but another great way to increase the light in a bathroom is to consider installing a skylight.
If you haven’t renovated before it can be tricky to know how to best design the area. If you are in doubt it is definitely worth utilising the services of an experienced Interior Designer to ensure that you get the room layout and function right so that you don’t make any costly mistakes. In our GETTING STARTED section you will find local Interior Designers to help you http://www.buildlocal.com.au/listings/category/interior-designers/
Click here to visit our Facebook page.